Getting Spammed With New Registrants

Please post your questions regarding technical support here.

Getting Spammed With New Registrants

Postby terrymrowley on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm getting spammed with all kinds of illegitimate new users registering. I set up the forum to require Admin approval of new accounts and also enabled visual confirmation but I'm still getting 3 to 5 emails per day with new user requests. Obviously, I'm not approving them without reviewing their details to see if their legitimate but they all still show up as users when I look up names in the User Admin Management panel.

Is there anyway to stop all these spammers? If not, is there a quick way to delete them from thet list in the User Admin Management Panel other than searching for and deleting them 1 at a time?
terrymrowley

Re: Getting Spammed With New Registrants

Postby terrymrowley on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm

After reviewing your suggestions I realized none of the specified menu items match the menus I have available. I checked another BB I admin and realized this particular BB is version 2.0.23 from 2001.

To answer your question - no, the new users I haven't activated aren't posting so I'm guessing it's because they can't.

If you've got info on how I can upgrade to a newer version myself then please let me know. Pending that, I'm going to contact the ISP and ask them how to get that upgraded to something newer.

Thanks for your input and help
terrymrowley

Postby terrymrowley on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:07 pm

link is http://skifederation.org/phpBB2/login.php

The ISP found I was on an old server, will be upgrading me to a new server today and will then be upgraded to PHP 5.
terrymrowley

Postby terrymrowley on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Thank you for spending time even though I was going to the wrong people. Appreciate your efforts!

Terry
terrymrowley

Return to Questions To Support