Images are cropped

Please post your questions regarding technical support here.

Images are cropped

Postby lwiley on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm using 3.0.5 for a photography forum. Linked images are cropped at about 800px wide. Is there a way around that? I know older versions of phpBB would just put a scroll bar on the browser so that you could scroll to see the rest of the image.

TIA, Leroy
lwiley

Re: Images are cropped

Postby lwiley on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 pm

support_team wrote:Do you mean the scroll bar line on the right of the posted image?

No, sorry I wasn't clear. I mean the other way, horizontal, not vertical.

If the image is too wide, phpBB crops it and there is no horizontal scroll bar to let you see the rest of the image. For instance, here is screen clip of a 1200px wide image as shown in my Firefox browser on a phpBB forum (I reduced the size to make it viewable here):

The screen clip above shows the whole image because I was able to make my browser wide enough. But when I have my browser set to it's normal width, it looks like this:

And there is no way to scroll to the right. There are workarounds:

The Workarounds
For Firefox,
    A - Right click on the image and select "View Image." When you're done viewing, click the back button on your browser. Or,
    B - Widen your browser until you see the whole image. That will work most of the time but sometimes the image is still too wide.

For IE, see option B above.

So there is a halfway decent workaround for Firefox (option A), but if you're using IE there are going to be some images you just can't see entirely.

Are there better solutions? And just as important, is anyone working on a patch to add a horizontal scroll bar? Without it, the software is tough to use for a photography forum.

thanks, Leroy
Last edited by lwiley on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
lwiley

Return to Questions To Support